Monday, February 7, 2011

Answering Questions

I had a fairly long comment the other day on this blog from an anonymous poster, that contained lots of questions.  Which I have decided to answer.

Question: why are you vegetarian?

I am a vegetarian quite simply because meat makes me hurl. Literally. As a kid I ate it all the time. When I was 15/16 I was quite sick with Glandular Fever. It changed my hormones and changes my tastes. Slowly red meat started to make me ill to the point where I completely stopped eating it.

Move forward 20 years and welcome to the world of IBS. Yucky yucky IBS. Read a study about IBS and that meats (red and white) can cause the symptoms in about 20% of the population. Decided to give it a go for a month and dropped the white meat.

18 months later and I have never felt better. No more bloated tummy. No more constipation (followed by a week of diarrhea). No more continuous flatulence. I had found my cure.

As for Lite’n’Easy (offered by Anonymous as an alternative to WW) I actually looked at this before WW. However they do not offer a vegetarian menu. So there is no choice – I can’t use it.

Looking at your food diary, you're missing vegetables (need 5 serves) and more wholegrains. Also, protein with every meal.

I completely agree with Anon regarding the veggies and wholegrains. I do not eat enough of either and am working on it. I also need to up my protein. For some reason in the last 6 months or so my consumption of legumes has dropped considerably. And I need to increase it. Thanks for the reminder.

Try and introduce some strength exercises

This is where I struggle as I hate strength work, but I know I have to. My proper gym opens in a week. I will get a program done.

Anon, I am not sure who you are but thank you SO much for taking the time to make such a detailed comment on my blog (for anyone who wants to read it go here).  You have given me some things to think about which is always good, and reminded me of some things I need to do.




No comments: